There is a point every Evansville winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help save money and decrease drafty air from passing through your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Evansville home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and cracks in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the usual windows with functional means and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the functional portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Evansville to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Evansville a call at 812-228-7000 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.